Monday, September 3, 2012

Here comes Fall!

We were off to a late start this summer, as I posted before.  This was the last summer before my kids join the ranks with all of the other school-aged children.  I felt a rush to do the usual summer trips I heard other parents planning.  The Summer Bucket Lists I've seen are pretty intriguing, and include anything from simple stuff like "Take the kids for ice cream" to "Go on a great vacation to somewhere warm, sunny and somewhat educational,".  Watching the other moms rush around to cross stuff off of their lists made my head spin a little, I admit.  I wanted to enjoy just one more summer of relaxation before the kids realize the pressure they might fall under during the school year.  One more summer to just be kids and not worry about schedules and time lines.  We skipped the commercial theme park passes this year, and they were not missed. 

Here's what was crossed off of the standard Summer To-Do List:
Play at the beach
Go Camping
Make s'mores at a campfire (not the cheater microwave kind)
Play with cousins
Plant a garden
Play in the water
Build forts
Paint-paint-paint
Spend time with Grandparents
Attend an MLB game
See Pixar's new blockbuster
Have ice cream/frozen yogurt
Ride bikes/power-wheels/go-karts
Play with more cousins
Get new stuff for school

I'm sure I left something out, and I am positive that I will take full advantage of our 2013 Summer Vacation, once the reality of being locked in to a school schedule sets in. 

The coming of Fall is exciting for everyone in our home.  For one thing, my in-laws have an apple orchard that we can raid for things like healthy snacks or delicious pies.  Our fruit trees are a bit young still, and we lost our peach tree during a frost last year, so we are fortunate we have someone to share homegrown fruit with us.  Aside from the delicious pies, it is the part of the year that I feel I get a second wind and start regaining some momentum.  I start wrapping up projects that missed the New Year/Spring Cleaning lists.  I dream up new ways to decorate for the up coming holidays.  The pumpkin spice lattes start appearing, giving me the official nudge to start having my hair colored a shade or two darker.  The kids and I start talking about costumes for Halloween, and I start sketching new patterns.  With Christmas around the corner I start making some serious progress to my collection of stocking stuffers and gifts.  The leaves start turning to beautiful shades of golden yellows and bright oranges that make even my husband smile. 

I am particularly excited and nervous about this Fall.  With both of my children attending school, I will have two new opportunities this year.  The most important of those two is taking on the role of Unofficial Teacher's Aide, filling a role that all parents should.  With overcrowded schools and strict teaching guidelines, Teachers are under a tremendous amount of pressure.  I've heard stories about parents being bombarded with homework - that's right.  THE PARENTS are saying THEY have homework.  I asked around to see what this was all about, and found that parents were simply being asked to reiterate the day's instruction.  I am aware that all of us are a bit short on time.  We work hard every day, so coming home to more work isn't exactly what most parents have in mind.  Am I looking forward to sight-words and sounding out words?  Honestly?  Not so much.  Am I excited that my kids will be learning new things that will help them become better readers, opening the door to a whole new world of discovery and learning?  YOU BET.  If I moan and groan about the homework, wouldn't that give my kids a full license to whine about it, too?  If homework is seen as "unnecessary work" or "busy work", or even to quote another parent I spoke with, "a waste of time", doesn't that set my child up for an entire school career of dread and possible failure?  I can groan every time I see a math worksheet come into this house, or I can smile, encourage, and assist my kids with their "work", and hope that they have a positive experience with their school work.  After all, they will be attending school for the next 17+ years, why not have some fun with it?

Speaking of fun, my second opportunity will be to work uninterrupted for blocks at a time on all of these sewing projects I have stacking up around here.  I am very thankful for all of the special orders I have received.  From stitching buttons on to sewing custom men's shirts, from quilts to quilted totes, from skirts to Gnomes, I am enjoying the steady stream of projects that have been heading my way.  Thank you to those of you who have placed your custom orders, and thank you to those of you who browse the Etsy Store! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment