Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Week #9

Purge your projects from time to time.  We all have UFO's (unfinished projects) from time to time, and sometimes letting go of them is the best thing we can do.  I come from a long line of pack-rats and clutter-bugs.  I'd like to think that I could be the one to break this cycle, but the fact that I have a fabric stash that could overflow a standard sized closet, I'm guessing I won't.  When is it time to let go and move on?

I had a friend give me her yarn stash a few months ago.  I like to knit and crochet, and found it really tough to turn down the yarn, although I was given the option of donating it.  I know of a few knitting circles that participate in some wonderful charity events, like making hats and blankets for preemies and newborns or for the homeless.  I thought of all of the things I could make with the skeins of yarn.  There were about forty of them, all labeled efficiently with little sticky dots to mark dye lots.  What a great idea, Leslie!!  Anyhow, I looked through pattern books, printed out online patterns, toyed with some of my own ideas, and still, the collection of yarn sits.

If you live in Sonoma County, you may know of a wonderful craft thrift store called The Legacy.   It is out in Sebastopol, CA.  Call ahead to make arrangements to drop off fabric, yarn, notions, books, magazines, patterns, and yes, even UFO's.  The store has a regular staff of volunteers who process the donations and set up the store like, well, a store.  Patterns are priced at fifty cents - except for vintage patterns - that's right, VINTAGE.  There are binders full of vintage patterns, all priced pretty reasonably if you ask me.  The fabric is sold by the pound.  It's something reasonable, like, $2/lb for fabric.  I've met teachers there that pick out scraps for their students.  I've met wonderful volunteers that come in to sit and knit/crochet items to donate to sell.  All of the proceeds from this great shop go to fund the Sebastopol Senior Center.  How cool is that?  I will admit, it's sad when I've witnessed a large delivery, and it hits me that someone has passed, and this is their sewing room, piled into box after box.  Right about the time I tear up, I'll see a young mom with her children in tow come in the front door, and they head to the button bucket to pick out buttons while their mom shops.  I smile, remembering that The Legacy is carried on, whether we pass it to our children, or strangers who find our stuff in the store.

I have dropped off items there from time to time.  I had volunteered a couple times while my son was at preschool.  I sorted patterns for a couple hours, while my daughter looked at buttons, or helped me put patterns in the correct boxes.  The staff is caring and pleasant, and while they prefer an appointment for larger donations, I've never had them turn down a bag or two of my purging.  What a wonderful way to achieve a guilt-free purge of my craft room!  I've acquired patterns and scraps of this and that for making dolls, or piecing holiday decorations.  I've found beloved out of print books that I have loaned out, only to have them never return.  I've scored amazing vintage buttons in excellent shape, and some uplifting conversations from fellow shoppers and volunteers. 

So when is it time to give up that UFO?  Have you lost interest?  Does it keep you from starting something new?  Are you feeling guilty?  Answering yes to any of those questions means it's time to move on.  Don't think of it as abandoning it, or giving up on something.  Think of it as giving the project new life by handing it on.  I assure you, a feeling of relief will pass over you.  I am on the verge of donating two totes of fabric that I've lugged to four different homes, each time intending to make something from the fabric, and each time putting the tote on the very bottom of the to-do list.  I'm not sure what my attachment is to these items, but I am starting to feel like letting go would be very liberating. 

Find a local charity, Senior Center, or classroom that could wrap up that project for you.  You're doing a better service to give it up and let it go than you are to weigh yourself down with it!!

Next week will conclude my Ten Weeks of Tip Tuesday!  What would you like to see on the blog in the upcoming weeks?  Tutorials?  Giveaways?  Contests?  Leave a comment below to let me know what you're looking for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment