Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Week #8

I'm sure you've read my rant on threads, and if you haven't, *ahem, get to it.  Anyhow, I know I was pretty harsh about brands.  Maybe I had a few bad runs of luck when it came to manufacturers.  Maybe I bought thread that had been on the shelf awhile, or was just faulty.  I don't know.  What I do know, is that it is easier to label my thread with the date when I buy it, so I can avoid it snapping on me later because it is old.  This was an easy task in the beginning, because I always bought my thread at once, when it was on sale.  I realized later this wasn't always the best way to buy thread.  Having worked in retail, I'm skeptical about sales and expiration dates.  Sales are a great way to move product that could be at the end of its lifespan.  I'm not saying this is true for thread, but what if it is?  What if all that thread that gave me a headache was simply just... old?  If there is a way to see the "born on date" like a popular beer brand boasts on their product, I want to see it.  For now, I'm content with buying thread when I need it, rather than buying it because the price is right.  I also buy just what I need for a project, and try to keep no more than one extra black or white thread on hand to avoid thread becoming "expired". 

 
How about the question of, "is that a black bobbin or a navy blue bobbin?"  Well, I love sharpies.  I'm pretty sure the stationary supply store loves me when I come in.  I adore sheet protectors, sharpies, shipping supplies, and I'm a sucker for binder clips (more on that next week).  You've read some of my uses for sheet protectors - like storing machine notes and patterns - but did you know that I have three recipe binders stuffed with sheet protectors?  I loved one of my holiday cookie magazines so much, that when I wore it out preparing for Christmas one year, I bought a second one, and carefully cut the pages, sliding each one into a sheet protector, compiling them all in a binder for future use.  The stationary store loves me, magazine makers label me Public Enemy #1.  Anyhow, back to the sharpies.... What a bird walk!!

I use sharpies to label my bobbins.  I label one side, and always put that side up when I thread the bobbin.  This makes it easier for me to remember the direction of the thread when the bobbin is placed into the machine for sewing.  My Kenmore Machine has "K" written on the bobbins, and I wrote "BL" on my Babylock bobbins.  What does this have to do with Navy and Black?  Well, I don't know about you, but sometimes late at night, I can't see the difference.  So I mark one with sharpie so I can see the difference.  It doesn't matter how you mark it -write NAVY or BLACK on it, who cares?  I personally label my black bobbin with Orange Sharpie.  Why?  I'm a San Francisco Giants Fan, and when I think Black, I think Orange and Black, so orange sharpie it is.  That being said, if I were a Detroit Tigers fan, I'd probably label my navy bobbin with orange.  But I'm not, so I don't.  Where was I?  Go GIANTS!!  And Label your bobbins to avoid confusion. 

Did you know that I post to the blog at other times during the week?  Not just on Tip Tuesday?  You might want to check in for updates on what is coming to the Etsy store, or craft fair dates...  Or maybe there might be a contest you can enter for free stuff?!?!  Who knows?  Check back, and even sign up on the right hand side of the screen to follow this blog by email. 

2 comments:

  1. GO Giants!! I keep my bobbins in a glass jar, I like your bobbin holder better! How can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I think I see a give-away item ;) I bought this one at The Sewing and Vacuum Place on Mendocino Avenue in Santa Rosa. They carry a wide variety of notions, including my FAVORITE threads! GO Giants!!

      Delete