Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Week #7

Making or modifying patterns is essential to what I do.  One of the advantages and reasons for sewing is to make a custom item.  Think of all the possibilities that can become reality when you make a pattern.  I started adjusting patterns for my own clothing over a decade ago, and I continue to make my own patterns for accessories like bags and wallets.  My daughter is very tall, and very slender, so I rarely have an opportunity to make her something straight out of the envelope.  A lot of her dresses are "Trim here, add several inches there," which is one of the reasons I sew so much for her.  When I finally modify a pattern, sometimes beyond recognition of its original format, I find myself frustrated at how fast the pattern deteriorates.  I get that patterns probably aren't made for multiple use, but I'm a tight-wad.  I typically don't spend more that $2 on a pattern, and I certainly don't throw it away when I am done.  I have learned over the years that it is easier to trim a pattern down, than it is to fold it over, keeping the sizes intact for future use.  Buying multiple patterns for the same pattern, but for different sizes is a much simpler option. 

But what about that pattern that fits just right?  The pattern that you use over and over again?  The pattern you made from tracing your favorite jeans or shirt?  The design that you worked up on a scrap of paper and trimmed using taped sheets of paper? 

Paper patterns are great, don't get me wrong, but I like to use muslin to make my patterns.   Draping the fabric over the person I am making the item for saves me a bunch of time.  It's an easy way to take something three-dimensional and turn it into two-dimensional.  I can see exactly where something should have seams, where it should be taken in and let out.  Using my Baby Lock Melody, I can embroider information on the muslin including what the pattern is for, the size, if it runs long or short, what the actual measurments are...stuff like that.  My favorite part about my obsessive compulsiveness in this pattern making matter is that I happen to know two little girls that are younger than my daughter that are facing the same fashion challenges she does, so all of my late nights of drafting and altering patterns, then transfering the alterations to muslin was far from a waste of time.  I found one brand of leggings that fit my daughter well everywhere but in the length, so I cut them open, and traced them on muslin to make a pattern adding length, of course. 

When I was in high school, my mother made me a half a dozen dresses from the same pattern.  Each one looked very different because of minor changes like length or material.  I'm sure she still has that pattern tucked away in her sewing room, and I can only imagine how dilapitated it is from all of those dresses. Think of how many times she pinned it down to fabric, and how many times it was folded and unfolded.

My tip?  Buy muslin by the bolt when it is on sale, and use this wonderfully affordable fabric to make and/or alter patterns.  You never know when all of that muslin will come in handy.  It's great for making patterns, making dust covers for just about anything, or even for making re-useable shopping bags.  I know a lot of women who put together a muslin outfit before cutting into expensive fabric.  There is nothing worse than cutting into Liberty of London fabrics only to find something doesn't fit.  Why not have a test run instead of potentially ruining pricey fabric?

Well, I hope you got a few tips from all of that mumbo-jumbo.  Three more tips coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment