Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Week #10

Before I get into the tip this week, I want to share with you a picture of a quilt I’ve been lugging around for almost twenty years.  I started this quilt the summer after my sophomore year of high school.  This was back during my days working at House of Fabrics. 
 
 
 
The store I worked at was closing, and there were some great deals on fabric.  It was a great time for me to take up quilting.  If I made a mistake, I wouldn’t be out a lot of cash.  It is important to say that aside from an outfit for school, I didn’t actually make any money during my days cutting fabric and back-folding the calico wall.  My poor mother lost money on the deal, as well.  She drove me to work on rainy days, and picked me up at night so I wouldn’t have to walk home in the dark.  Unfortunately, she would end up shopping.  I remember on more than one occasion, she shopped for my entire evening shift. 

As most of you quilters know, there are stages of quilting.  I don’t mean prewashing, cutting, stitching, ironing, and actually quilting.  I mean the emotional stages:  Excitement, confusion, despair, resolve, perseverance and success.  Some of you know exactly what I mean.  Every “new” quilt starts with that excitement stage, when I can not wait to get my hands on the new fabric.  I cut away, cheerful and singing, stitching and ironing, clipping and sorting.  Eventually, I run into an issue.  It’s important to mention this issue is usually encountered late at night, when my eyes are having trouble staying open, and I’ve misunderstood something.  I should know that it is time to get some rest, and try again in the morning, but sometimes the excitement hasn’t waned completely and I want to push ahead.  Then despair sets in, when I’ve realized I have made a mistake, and should have stopped when the confusion set in.  I call it a night, possibly avoiding the project the next morning, and eventually move to the resolve stage, in which I’ve found a resolution to my issue.  I drudge through whatever seam ripping or re-cutting that needs to occur, and then it happens.  Sweet Success.  There is nothing sweeter than that moment I finish that last stitch.  I run my hands over the designs.  I run my fingers along the binding.  Each new pattern brings a new skill.  I am working on a few new patterns here that I am hoping to try out in all this free time I have with the kids in school.  Those of you that know me KNOW I would have used a sarcastic font for that last line.  I’ve had less free time since they’ve started school than I did when they were home with me all summer. 
 
Where is the tip in all of this?  Have you ever sat down with a Veteran from any war?  I mean really sat down and talked to someone who has served their country or fought for something they love?  I run into Veterans from time to time, and I try to make the time to hear their story.  I see something lost in their eyes when we say our hellos, and somehow they come alive when they start reminiscing about what it was like to be a young soldier.  They talk about their first love, or their first deployment.  They say they don’t want to bore me, as I’m sure their kids and grandkids are tired of hearing the memories.  I listen.  I hear.  I wonder how these men and women survived some of the situations they endured.  I hear the pride in their voices, and see the sparkles in their eyes, and the glow that gleams of their face as they tell their tale.  Good or bad, their experience shaped them, and made them the people they are today.  I’m happy they want to share their story with me, and so happy to listen. 

Talk to a quilter, and they spin a similar yarn.  I’m not trying to be disrespectful, please don’t take it that way.  But imagine a conversation I had with a fellow quilter about putting together a Lone Star quilt.  I had shared a picture of a “Starburst” quilt that I had made in 1994.  She insisted it was not a Lone Star quilt because of the color placement, and I agree, to a certain extent.  She asked me why I chose such a difficult pattern for my first quilt.  I explained that I knew I would be spending a lot of time with the quilt, and wanted something I would like for a long time.  I bought the fabric for twenty-five cents a yard.  That’s right.  Twenty-five cents a yard.  I was new to quilting, and was learning a technique that was new to the industry called “Strip Quilting”.  Armed with a rotary cutter, mat and pattern, I set out to assemble the quilt.  The woman and I talked and talked about color choices.  She spent months gathering her fabric for hers, I spent ten minutes.  She cut diamond after diamond, carefully piecing each one.  I cut strips, sewed strips, cut more strips, sewing more strips, and so on.  She shared her tips of the trade for quilting her masterpiece, and laughed at my batting choice for that first quilt.  It was nice to talk to this quilting veteran.  Where was she when I was working on this quilt?  It would have been nice to have some input.

Every project gives us a new experience.  Every stitch we rip out and re-stitch is a new lesson.  I encourage you to take classes, talk to people you know, join a quilting guild, and enjoy your time creating.  What’s my tip this week?  Jump into the deep end and start the project that you adore but are afraid of.  Buy that fabric you love when you see it, and tuck it away for later.  You know what you like; you’ll find the right pattern for it some day.  Don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know what you are doing, and don’t lie about what you can do.

 That concludes my Ten Week Tip Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment