Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Week #6

This may seem like a simple tip, but keep your manuals for your sewing machines near your sewing machines.  And I don't mean just the manual that came with your machine, I mean the one you make for your machine, too.

Each machine has its own quirks and requirements for maintenance and operations.  I spent an afternoon playing with my ruffle foot to see what setting did what.  I labeled the strips of fabric with the settings before running them through the machine, and then adjusted the foot to those settings.  I saved all the ruffles stapled to card stock for easy future reference.  It's also a good idea to compile a sampler of different decorative stitches.  It's nice to have a quick reference instead of having to try out different sizes before finding the one I want.  I like to make note of tension settings on my serger.  I have the standard setting labeled on my machine (Thanks, Jim), but I also keep a list of what settings I use for different fabrics.  And Blind Hems?!?  Who Loves blind hems?  Not this gal.  BUT, I have a sample of fabric folded for a blind hem, because no matter how often I look at the manual, it just doesn't sink in.  That little scrap makes blind hems a breeze.  Most of these little scraps and things fit into sheet protectors, that can fit into a binder.  Mine are all shoved in Ziploc bag that came with my machine.  I'm not even going to post a picture for you to laugh at.  Someday they'll make it to a binder.

I want to get the most out of my machines, so knowing their features inside and out is imperative.  No matter what machine I have, or how much it cost, I want to know exactly what it can and can't do.  It's the best way for me to get my money's worth from the machine I have, and construct a thorough list of features I would like for my new machine, should I need to purchase one at some point in the distant future. 

Did you get your coupon for my Etsy store off of the Back-to-School post?  There's a 15% off coupon floating around in there you won't want to miss.  The coupon is good through the end of September, so you'll want to hang on to it.  With the kid starting school in just a few days, I'll be back at the sewing machine, wrapping up iPad and Kindle covers, quilts and cozies.  Stay Tuned!!
 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Smith. How did you get so smart? And organized? I love tip Tuesday and always get something out of it! Thanks. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie! I'm working up some tutorials for the blog. Is there anything you would like to see?

      Delete
  2. Such great tips...as always! I'll be adding a sample binder to my sewing machine shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Baby Beanzy! I love how much time I save by having all of those settings written down. You know how it is - with two under two, it's a stretch just having time TO sew!

      Delete
  3. Excellent idea!
    It's good to have the manual especially when you take the bobbin out and the holder and other assorted parts decide to come out with it.

    ReplyDelete