Wednesday, August 15, 2012

More fabric?!?

I've had an unusual week around here.  Most of our summer days are filled with playing in the yard, building forts, and making a mess with play-doh.  We spent a lot of time on the road during the previous school year, as my son was attending a school about 25 miles from our home.  I've been avoiding trips anywhere to give my kids a break from freeways and car rides.  We're wrapping up our summer fun and preparing for school.  I've made my rounds to get school supplies, purchasing backpacks and lunch bags, pencils and erasers, jeans and shoes.  I'm compiling a list of healthy lunch ideas my children will actually eat.  Patterns and fabrics for school clothes are taking over my sewing table.  So what makes this week so weird?

This week, I've hauled my kids to town every day to pick up packages.  Every day.  It started with picking up two orders of fabric at the post office Monday.  Not so unusual for a woman in the business of sewing, really.  Monday night brought notification that I would be receiving a second Big Brown Truck shipment Wednesday, in addition to the shipment I was expecting for Tuesday.  Wow, packages on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?  Wow.  My head began to spin when I received a notice for another delivery on Thursday!  Add in a third parcel due this week at the post office, and Good Golly!!  That's SIX boxes in one week!!  I'm doing my best to get them checked in, pre-washed and put away, but my goodness!  That's a lot of fabric!  I am surprised that everything is coming in one week, as I was told most of what I ordered had could have a September delivery date. 

Here I am, trying to wind down Summer, and Fall is already taking over.  I had planned for the fabric to be received the week before the children started school, so I would have time to wrap up Summer before I jumped into my new Fall sewing schedule.  If my calendar could make faces, I'm pretty sure it would be smirking at me right now.  I'm not sure where the summer has gone, or how my fabric showed up so fast.  Here I am, staring at the closet I use for my business, shaking my head in disbelief that I will actually be able to hit the ground running and get some great new products listed for this Fall.  It feels good to see my plan coming together, fabric and notions tucked neatly away, waiting for the Ginghers and rotary cutters to work their magic.  The next couple weeks are filled with special orders, but I'm hoping to sneak in some items for the store.  I am debating posting a picture of what I have received, but I think it might be more fun to have some completed items posted to the Etsy store!

No comments:

Post a Comment